By Chanel Earl

SCENE: A young WOMAN is lying in bed in her sleepwear.

WOMAN: The first thing I want every morning is a freshly laundered pair of socks. That’s why every night before I go to sleep, I take a pair out of my sock drawer and tuck it behind the leg of the bed, right next to the heating duct. See? This is today’s pair; it’s one of my favorites. I just love the bright colors. (She puts the socks on.) They’re really warm, like I just pulled them out of the dryer. Now, before I am even out of bed, I know this is going to be a good day. Because how could any day that begins with a warm pair of socks ever go wrong? (She sits up at the edge of the bed.) Not that it works every day. Sometimes things still go wrong, and other times when they don’t, I just feel bleh, which is why I also try to access the power of positive thinking. I mean, I never miss a day with the socks, because it pretty well guarantees the good morning, but just in case it isn’t enough, I also put a little sign on my bathroom mirror that says, “Today, I am brimming with energy and overflowing with joy.” That’s my first affirmation, and when I read it, I get that good nothing-can-go-wrong feeling even before I put on my lucky necklace or pack a pudding in my lunch, which helps me stay chipper through both my too-short lunch hour and my too-long afternoon. I have an affirmation on the inside of my lunch box too. It says, “My body is healthy; my mind is brilliant; my soul is tranquil.” My office has a poster that says, “My ability to conquer my challenges is limitless; my potential to succeed is infinite.” And if I need one quickly and don’t have time to duck into my office, I pull the carved stone out of my pocket that says “Joy.” (She sighs, then pulls a book out from under her pillow.) I can’t carry this around with me everywhere, but this is where I write all my affirmations down, just to keep a record of them. Some aren’t very good, but I transfer the best ones to posters and sticky notes. I have them hanging up all over. (She flips through the book and reads) “I acknowledge my own self-worth; my confidence is soaring.” “I am enough, exactly how I am.” “I am a powerhouse; I am indestructible.” “I give myself permission to be fabulous.” (WOMAN sighs, drops the book, lies back in bed and covers herself with the blanket again.)

Chanel Earl is currently pursuing her MFA in fiction at Brigham Young University. Her work has appeared in print and online.